Japanese Beetles -Garden Pest

These pests started in 2017 and seem to have increased considerably in three years.




As you can see they love to eat and to breed in the heat of the day, in the full sun. The female will fly to a flower and advertise her presence by producing a scent that the other beetles can smell. This attracts males and other females. If you knock them off into soapy water, the bloom they were on continues to attract them because of the scent left by the female beetles. I have found that it is best to cut the bloom off and hope they will leave the new ones alone.

In 2019 I set up three traps away from the beds, and could catch hundreds every day in each trap. In addition I walk about the garden during the heat of the sun, and catch hundreds as well by knocking them off the flowers into a cut vinegar bottle, with some dish soap and water. By the end of the day, I could easily have 1000 in the water.  
 
In 2020, I did not set up the traps, and cut down a few plants that attracted them, including a wild grape vine and a Cotoneaster  Bush. I seem to catch fewer numbers, but they are still in the hundreds every day.

It was clear that I needed more help, so I purchased a nylon screen/cloth small enough to keep mosquitos out. I then sowed bags to place on top of plants I wanted to protect.




These work quite well, and they also are good for cross pollination for flowers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Page

Welcome To Our Dahlia Garden in Ottawa.

Welcome to our Dahlia garden located in Ottawa Canada. To care for Dahlias and to see their own joy as they mature, give themselves ...